Tomatoes are one of the finest container crops – both for yield and taste. Tomato grower Nick Chenhall of the excellent Tomato Growing website shares his extensive knowledge and experience in the videos below. His approach is a mix of the low cost DIY, combined with the latest research and gizmos. Not everything here is “organic” – so pick and chose the tips that best suit how you like to grow.
1. Nick’s seven top tomato growing tips
Nick shares his top tips for tomato success – including which varieties to grow, how to get air to the roots, pot size, feeding – and his big secret (revealed after the credits!).
2. How to raise healthy tomato plants
- 3 ways to start tomato seeds.
- When and what to pot the seedling on into (including Nick’s patented beer containers!)
- A great tip for increasing light.
- What compost to use.
3. How to feed your tomato plants
To get good yields of tomatoes from containers, feeding is essential. Nick talks through the options including:
- Tomato feeds
- Liquid seaweed
- Epsom salts
4. Training your tomatoes
- How to train your tomatoes to have two or three main stems.
- How and when to remove the leaves from tomato plants.
- When to pinch out the growing tips.
- How to tie up tomatoes.
5. Tomato diseases and other problems
- How to prevent and treat blight.
- Common nutrient deficiencies including blossom end rot – and why spraying milk can help.
- Common physical problems including leaf roll and fruit scald.