Month by month, Monica Bathija brings you her tips on what to do now in the container garden in India – based on her experiences on her roof terrace container garden in Mumbai.
Here’s what to do in September:
1. Keep feeding the gourds and other fruiting plants.
2. Sow cabbage, cauliflower, brinjals, onions, spinach, cucumber.
3. Stock up on soil, fertiliser, containers for salad crops.
4. Keep an eye out for red ants. They’re usually an indicator of aphids and mealy bugs on plants.
5. Keep harvesting.
6. Cut back any okra plants if they are getting too tall. Prune main vines to encourage side shoots.