Month by month, Monica Bathija brings you her tips on what to do now in the container garden in India – based on her experiences on her roof terrace container garden in Mumbai.
Here’s what to do October:
1. Loosen up soil that has been compacted due to the rains.
2. Dig up any old, dying plants and get containers ready for the winter sowing.
3. Dig out weeds that have been flourishing in the rains. And mulch.
4. Sow brinjals, tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, beetroots, carrot, radishes, mustard and potatoes.
5. Start saving dry leaves for mulch, compost etc.
6. Prepare containers for salad leaves.
7. Keep feeding the gourds and other fruiting plants.