In May, Monica is busy as she prepares for the hottest month of the year on her roof terrace container garden. Here she shares for you her tips on what to do now in the container garden:
- Sow capsicum if you haven’t already. Also plant cucumbers, bottle gourds, sweet potato, cowpea, ginger and turmeric.
- Plan your monsoon arrangements for the containers. Tall plants that might keel over will have to supported/tied and moved to less windy spots on the terrace.
- Harvest whatever compost you can before the rains.
- Figure out where you are going to keep the compost bin and store your dried leaves during the rains.
- Prune lemongrass and other overgrown herbs before the monsoon.
- As you continue to harvest, also save seeds where you can.
- Give the woodwork a lick of paint while the weather is dry.