Month by month, Monica Bathija brings you her tips on what to do now in the container garden in India – based on her experiences on her roof terrace container garden in Mumbai.
Here’s the what to do for July:
1. The weeds are probably having a field day. Keep them in check.
2. If you need to transplant cuttings, this is a perfect time for it. Transplanted seedlings will probably need a cloche or some sort of protection in the heavy rains.
3. Secure tall plants, bushes and vegetables to prevent them from toppling over in windy weather.
4. Make sure you have trellises and supports in place for the gourds.
5. It’s a good time to get the tomatoes started, and also to sow corn, onions, garlic, spinach, more gourds, okra and cucumbers.