Month by month, Monica Bathija brings you her tips on what to do now in the container garden in India – based on her experiences on her roof terrace container garden in Mumbai.
“I’d bought a small mulberry plant last February and from what I heard and read, I figured it takes a long time to grow and to fruit. It is also supposed to be a big bush so I wondered how it’d do in a container, all the wondering and research of course after the plant had been bought. But it’s fruiting now!”
- Hill the potatoes with a mixture of soil and compost. Watch for aphids.
- Feed the tomatoes and other growing vegetables. Stake the tomatoes.
- Ensure you do succession planting of radishes for continuous supply.
- Keep harvesting salad leaves.
- A good time to sow brinjal, spinach, fenugreek, melon, lettuce, carrot, onion, tomato, okra, bean.