There are numerous benefits of growing food on your window sill, patio or balcony:
- You’ll have fresher, healthier food quite literally on your doorstep.
- You’ll save money.
- You’ll bring greenery, flowers and wild life to your urban (concrete?) neighbourhood.
- You’ll find a hobby that many find rewarding, relaxing and creative – and that can be good for both mental and physical health.
- If you’re into sustainability stuff, you’ll find lots of opportunities for recycling (making your own containers, converting waste food into worm compost), reducing your waste food by only picking what you need, and cutting your carbon footprint.
- If you’re into food, you’ll love the super fresh veg, the abundance of herbs, and the opportunity to grow crops unavailable (or expensive) in the shops.
- And last but not least, you’ll meet new neighbours – food growing is a shared language with wide appeal across generations and cultures.